Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

thank you, I have cancer, how are you

I just finally listened to Tig Notaro's live set at Largo from last year. Tig goes on stage for her set after being diagnosed with breast cancer only a few days previous. All the old jokes are silly, irrelevant, hollow-- she finds herself unable to tell them, to talk about a bee passing her on the 405. So she talks about her cancer. I've been told numerous times to check it out. Well, I finally did. And. It is so true and hilarious and, my experience. I turned to my roommate as he sat down to listen to it with me, with tears brimming and yet deeply laughing. She outlines the last 4 months of her shit misfortune: a dangerous bacterial infection, the accidental passing of her mother, a break up, and the cake-winner: a cancer diagnosis. But her take on all of it is exactly what I love. It's how I view it, at least, how I try. There is comedy everywhere. "Thank you, I have cancer, how are you, hello" is how she begins her set, which seems minimally prepared: raw and uncouth and so deeply funny. I encourage you to listen to it. I found it for $5 on iTunes.
Do it.

1 comment:

  1. Legit, yesterday I was listening to an interview with Tig and was like Bekah needs to hear this woman!!! She's fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete