Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

little t's


I looked back one day
and instead of the dutiful structural wall
I expected to be standing, marking the path I had been walking
the past few years:
each stone set on a foundation of Truths
most little t’s, with some big T Truths
God is Love, and Love is Real-
But that day, whenever it was exactly,
I turned around and found a little gremlin
was smashing around making a mess of it all-
even the foundation stones were crushed.

I wept, grieved for a while.
I was angry some. Heaven disappeared
and god was a deepening mystery

I read philosophers.
Nietzsche has plenty to say
But so does Abraham Heschel
and how Wonder is all he ever asked for
and god gave it to him.
I take this back to my wall.
Caputo steeps in the weakness of god:
unstable, barely functional-
I take some of this back to my wall.

Grace Jantzen reminds me that Deconstruction
is a way to reconstruction.
I take this back to my wall.

I wrestle with the gremlin for a year or two,
then decide to take a break because it’s exhausting
spending every moment in existential skepticism
and I’m just tired, damnit
god damnit.
yes, god, damn it, please.
If you’re there, if you have any power left
damn it.
and I’m just gonna take a break
and if that’s okay with you,
I’m gonna just let this go for now
so I can start breathing normally.

I go from being angry
inside the eternal dark night of my Kierkegaard-ian soul
waiting for the rubble to make itself a wall again, to pave itself
ahead of me, and
getting angry when it didn't—
To just letting the world happen to me;
listening to the words of poets
Who have long gone before me-
“Beyond our ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing,
there is a field. I’ll meet you there.” Rumi.
Who have known things closer than I could explain,
“Let everything happen to you; beauty and terror.
Just keep going. No feeling is final.” Rilke.
Who comforted me in my state,
“You only have to let the soft animal of your body
loves what it loves.” Mary Oliver.

Music saved me. Theatre is my Church. Art is my prayer.
Words have so much power if you let them.
So let them.

And then, one day, you may find yourself
asking those small, eternal questions again;
the wall crumbly but giving it a go-
the gremlin tamed and even cuddly. And then
meekly, like a child whispering in her mother’s ear:
“I love you,” to which she responds
“I loved you first.”

No comments:

Post a Comment