Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

process


I feel that the best I have right now is just the things sort of spilling out of my brain. It's not tidy or revised. I'm processing a lot so it's just where I am.  And so much of the time it's dark and hard, and so often I don't write at all because all I have is dark and hard. But I'm trying to shed light on the dark and hard. And you have allowed me to do that. To be where I am, and I have allowed you to see where I am. So. In the words of Milosz:
To begin where I am.

-------
it's corrosion
this slow death 
under the surface
rotting out like water-logged 
wooden beams of the dock at the lake-
its algae covered legs giving out after
one too many joyful leaps
one too many years of mucilage and fish shit
one too many high tides.

It’s not quite like the death of an animal thing,
it’s not visceral
not like road kill:
something shockingly alive
breathing heavily the air fresh from 
the roadside grasses and nettle
living courageously in small ways
and then
with a frightening flash of crushing pain,
gone forever.

So maybe it’s something like
a perennial
blowing out its last breath of summer
before the first cold night of the year.
Do they expect it?
Do they wait for it, patiently, calmly, inviting the Fall?
Do they know they live?
Do they know
they will curl up and slump to the ground
to decay into the earth
and become atoms to nurture next Spring’s crocus?
Do they know they live?
Do they know the sound of a deer approaching?

but it is cyclic
and natural, whether there is instinct involved or not.
whether there is knowing
or not.           

Would it be better to not know?
To just flare up
like a flame burning down
a fiber wick and can’t see how much wax is left to go?
And honestly, doesn’t care one bit.
Not knowing why or where you came from,
what you’re doing or where you’re going. Just
charging full force ahead doing the one thing you
know how to do
until slowly
at first,
then there’s
less and less
wax to feed the hunger,
less and less
atoms
to nurture that
little red ember until
with a tender
glow
and a tendril wisp
no sound to announce your passing,
silently
you are just gone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment