Pages

Friday, November 13, 2015

Day I've stopped counting: Updates and Winterizing my life



"Hello from the Outsiiiiiiiide. I'm freezing over; soon you'll cryyyyyyyyy" -November. 
(November is such a plagiarizing cheat, Adele, I'm sorry.)

Actually, we’ve experienced record warmth this year ("70s? IN NOVEMBER?" I rejoice). But I know its only a matter of time before snow arrives (this part's not so bad: it's beautiful and exciting and surfaces those nostalgic memories of every first-snow you can recall), the dagger-like wind picks up (and due to the fact that I am a paper-doll at the current moment, I fully expect to be whisked away to some distant land in the clouds never to be seen again. I'll write to let you know what it's like to fly, if I can find a pen and a reliable carrier pigeon), and the dropping temperature will chill both my physical and mental state into an angry Dark Ages. I hate the winter.

I remember being young and exhilarated by the prospect of this time of year: waking every morning with the glittering hope of a snow day, watching the school-cancellations scroll across the TV; building underground tunnels and igloos in the mountainous snow banks left by the plows; taking turns playing Snow Queen with my sisters--and when our cheeks couldn't take it anymore: hot chocolate and marshmallows awaiting us inside. It also meant that the holidays were approaching, obviously. Thanksgiving and Christmas: highlighted with melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookies, little red candles spinning the (German? Swedish?) nativity pyramid on the kitchen table, and the smell of evergreen wreaths when you walk through a doorway. Actually now that I've written all of that, it doesn't seem half as bad. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing.

But as you get older and there's no school days to be cancelled, snow means shoveling, scraping ice off your car with numb-ass hands because you can't find your gloves, sitting bitter and freezing as you wait for the engine to warm up, and for me: being perpetually late everywhere because I always forget to factor in how much longer it takes to leave (bundling up the layers, and readying the car, see above). I've also learned something about myself in recent years: I hate being cold. Not just that it's uncomfortable, but I actually get angry. Like really, really angry when I am cold. It's as if my brain shuts down in extreme efforts to focus on staving off hypothermia, and everything and everyone is a noxious distraction from my every cell trying to zip up its tiny winter jacket that the wind seems to blow right through. Not to mention the time-change and ever-shrinking hours of daylight. As soon as I'm cold, I turn into an ogre-ous (this is now a word. You’re welcome, English) form of Bekah. It's terrible, and I hate this version of myself. 

And on top of all this (the impending Doom), I’ve also had some not-great (read: the worst.) life things in recent weeks. I’ve written before about my muscle spasms. Well, they’re reaching an all-time high/low, whichever/whatever. The New Deal: about a month ago, my spasms went (quite suddenly) from a more intermittent irritation (though still excruciatingly painful when they’d happen) to a full-blown life-takeover. Every single day was a time bomb, counting down a spasm clock with the launch procedure completely unknown to me. All I knew that was at some point every day a part of my body will give up the ghost and submit me to torturous agony, often setting off a chain reaction as other parts of my body join in on this...escapade of debauched fate. (I am not exaggerating. I have a high pain-tolerance and I try very hard not to embellish my experience of pain. I have always been this way. This is the same person who unknowingly tore her (first) ACL and couldn’t properly walk for 3 weeks and then couldn’t squat, kneel or go up stairs without pain for over 8 months, but thought she’d just ‘power-through’, and then ignored red-flags of a serious medical condition, aka Cancer, for almost a year after that...dumb. So. Not an embellisher.)

And then every night, frequently hourly: spasms jolting me awake and I try to untangle myself from a blanket mess/straight-jacket to launch out of bed to try to quell the pain that I can only describe as my muscles attempting to break my leg bones. Literally every hour. Clockwork, I tell you. This extreme change in the frequency and intensity of the spasms scared me, and I spiraled real fast into a very dark depression. My life was being taken over by an evil dictator who lashed out erratically, but with enough regularity that I had to cancel, reschedule or amend all plans and appointments for weeks- which in turn caused isolation, which heightened my depression. And in addition, I had recently started taking prednisone again in a seemingly last-ditch effort to regain control of this body spinning off the road. Prednisone is a steroid/archenemy/med that doctors throw around like candy. Sure, it can help a lot of things in a lot of cases, but the side-effects both short and long term can be very bad. Very very bad. Read: bone necrosis, for one. Steroids also F with your brain and intensify any emotion you experience. Read: Depression. So, yeah. Spinning wheel of Death, Brain-side.


I was maxed out. I was maxed out on the pain, and maxed out on dealing with it. Every time felt like the last time I could handle it, I just couldn’t do it anymore. I didn’t want to do it any more. Most of my days were spent wishing I could just be knocked out or put under so I wouldn’t feel it. When I wasn’t just straight up crying (or screaming. I hate to admit this, but I sometimes scream into my pillows so I don’t wake neighbors. These muscles are not messing around. At all.) I’d just be asking god or my body or whoever could be listening: Why? WHY? and then No no no no no no. Your brain can do some pretty weird stuff when you’re in pain. I compulsively talk to myself because, psychology. “You’re okay, you’re okay, you’re ok, it’s okay. It’s okay its okay you’re okay” I call myself sweetheart, honey, my love, darling. And then sometimes it’s the opposite; I curse out this god-forsaken body with a string of uncreative obscenities.

And my never-ending question is How HOW can non-existent muscles cause this much suffering? There’s nothing even there to see (ie. paper doll), let alone spasm to the point of my bones feeling like their going to break. It feels like my body is trying to kill me, again. Cancer didn’t seem to work, so here’s the next attempt. Or perhaps my muscles are in mutiny and seeking to prove that they still exist in spite of me. I don’t know.

Well, finally after about three weeks of these shockingly quick-changing unforgiving circumstances and my mental state spinning out: I had one night of spasms so horrific, lasting so long and attacking new and larger muscle groups that I had no way of calming down or stretching to release, my parents took me to the ER. Of course as soon as we get to the ER my body had relaxed, as is the way of things (I can’t really move when a spasm hits, so we had to wait almost a half-hour in order to get me to the car). I wasn’t upset by this, I mean, not really because I didn’t want to be in pain any more. But it’s also difficult to explain to someone that, just a few short moments ago I was in the most intense pain I have ever experienced, by way of a now pacified and complete hypocrite of a body. The only thing I had to show for it was that I was totally exhausted. The fatigue following these episodes is obscene. They nodded. They took my blood. And my white count was high. Read: infection.

They did a chest X-Ray which revealed that I had pneumonia. I was admitted to the hospital that night and put on Big Gun antibiotics to knock it out (TMI alert it makes your pee smell terrible). With my still being immuno-compromised, pneumonia is nothing to mess around with. More X-Rays, more antibiotics, more nights in the hospital. What’s amazing is that I wasn’t presenting any signs or symptoms generally associated with pneumonia. Nurses and X-Ray techs kept asking me how my cough was doing, and I always had to answer them “I don’t have a cough” to which a quizzical look was always the response. Especially when follow-up questions like “Wheezing? Fever? Shortness of breath?” also got the headshake. What’s also amazing is that the muscle spasms started clearing up as the spot on my X-Ray did. They didn’t go away completely, but the regressed to about where they’d been prior to the Three Weeks of Hell. I tried to be active, walking laps around the floor- because that seems to help keep my leg spasms at bay- and sitting in a hospital bed wasn’t helping the cause.

It wasn’t until the night before I came home that we (well, my mom brilliantly sleuthed out) put together what I see as a pretty clear understanding of what had just happened to me. Why my spasms got so bad so suddenly, and conditionally why my mood spiraled out of control with it. Of course now in hindsight I do recall prior to my transplant, my doctor talking to me about chronic GvHD, and that if I did happen to have it (which was likely, given I had an 8/10 mismatched donor), that it would likely have “flare-ups” throughout my life, usually when I'd get sick. This happens because when the body gets an infection, the immune system “wakes up” (as it should) and goes to town on the infection, which causes symptoms (stuffy nose, cough, etc). At least, that’s what a proper immune system should do. In my case, because my immune system is transplanted and not my own, when it was triggered to “wake up” because I had developed pneumonia (hurrah), instead of attacking the pneumonia, my immune system got confused and started going to town on my muscles instead.

Hopefully my immune system will eventually feel “at home” in my body and not attack healthy things (like my mini muscles). The goal of this transplant is that the donor immune system will do what it’s supposed to do: keep my body free of infection, and keep cancer from returning. That’s called CURE. They say five years in remission is when cancer patients and doctors can start saying the word “Cure”. But I’m not so sure if it’s the same numerical path for me, we’ll see. The hope is to be able to get off of immuno-suppressants so that my immune system can reach it’s full potential to guard me. That may never happen, especially because I have a mismatched donor, and GvHD may be too intense (and dangerous) to ‘take the blinders off’ my immune system completely. But that’s the goal. For now, knowledge is power. Knowing and understanding what just happened to me has released some of the anxiety and depression that wrapped so tightly around me for the past month. If my muscle spasms (or my other, somewhat-less-frightening-but-still-obnoxious presentations of GvHD: so far I have five other ones) ever start to increase like they did this time around—I’ll know, I probably have an infection and my immune system just doesn’t know how to “do this” yet. The scariest part of it all (besides how bad the pain was) was not knowing why it got so bad—and that it was so suddenly and completely taking over my life for no apparent reason. Now I know.

I’m also taking other steps to build a healthier identity. It can be very disheartening when I look back over the year and it’s easy to chastise myself for not being further along than I am. I’ve fallen off the 2015 Year of Health horse a bit, but I can’t let that control me. I have to start where I am. I have begun PT for full-body reconditioning. A harrowing task, but I need to do it for my health and sanity and soul. I am starting to see a new psychiatrist and therapist closer to my home so I don’t need to drive into Boston so often. I am actively trying to gain weight (bacon). I’m doing research and learning how to be my own health-advocate (yup, even 2+ years into this thing and I’m still learning how to do this). I’ve seen a new transplant doctor at MGH for a second opinion, and he was very encouraging that we are NOT running out of options to deal with my GvHD- something that was told to me by my current team at DFCI. I am very grateful to my DFCI team and thankful for everything they’ve done for me, but I’ve had to learn that not everyone knows everything. It may appear obvious, but there you go. Lessons.

We’ve also found a clinical trial researching chronic GvHD that is recruiting new participants. It’s through the National Cancer Institute and the trial is based out of Maryland, so I hope to head down there at some point to be a part of their research. In their list of chronic GvHD symptoms, muscle spasms wasn’t even listed (my other 5 were) so I almost feel its my duty to science and other transplant patients to inform the research about this other form of GvHD #science. I know how important it is to not feel alone, and I want other patients experiencing what I’m experiencing to know that. So, to Maryland I go! I’m planning to contact them this week to start the process.

I am also drawing upon the lessons on self-care from last year, remembering what pulled me out from under last year’s depression: surrounding myself with beautiful, life affirming things: poetry and music, doing arts and projects, intentionally seeking out people and waking up earlier to catch more sunlight. Active self-care is work, but if I don’t do it, I will be doomed to the catastrophe of Winter. So I am Winterizing myself. Building a network of people I love, reconnecting with people I miss. Rilke and Rilke and Rilke. Making things with my hands when they let me, and leaving them in peace when they rebel. Allowing and reminding myself to be where I am, free of judgement and self-loathing. Stretching my muscles, watching the sky, breathing deeply. Winter, there are no strings on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment